Don’t miss the very first “Miss South Sound Suzy” Pin Up Pageant/Photoshoot/Bake Sale at the Car Show 4 Kids in Auburn, WA on July 19th 2014! A benefit for the Pediatric Brain Tumor Foundation.
We are still accepting styling donations at this time if you are a professional hair or make-up artist please email us.
MISS SOUTH SOUND SUZY SCHEDULE:
- February 10th 2014 Pin Up Pageant Contestant Submissions Open
- June 10th 2014 Pin Up Pageant Contestant Submissions Closed
- July 19th 2014 Car Show 4 Kids Pin Up Pageant & Bake Sale 9:00A-3:30P
WHAT IS THE MISS SOUTH SOUND SUZY PAGEANT/PHOTOSHOOT/BAKE SALE?
As a big part of mid-century life, many towns had their own pageant queen. Although today we have modern pin up swimsuit pageants and some more risqué pin up pageants, we rarely see a family friendly vintage pin up pageant. Our vision is to bring back an authentic vintage feel and family friendly pageantry to South Puget Sound for the 2014 Car Show 4 Kids, a Pediatric Brain Tumor Foundation Benefit. Contestants will be participating in a Pin Up Pageant, Answering A Question On Microphone, a Pin Up Photoshoot, and a Pin Up Bake Sale fundraiser in support of the Pediatric Brain Tumor Foundation. The term ‘Suzy’ comes from the 1950’s “Suzy Homemaker” style that we are hoping contestants will be dressed as – we don’t believe that these women are actually homemakers but maybe their homemaker alter-ego will show for 1 day for a good cause.
PART 1. Read the description and rules. Then submit your entry before June 10th with your pin up photo and your non-refundable $10 entry fee
PART 2. Your Pin Up Name, Photo and the name of your Baked Good item will be posted online in our 2014 Miss South Sound Suzy Pageant Contestants list on this web page and our FaceBook Event (invite friends!) There is no voting online, we just want to let other contestants know they will not be alone, and what delicious baked goods will be available. The more contestants the merrier, so please feel free to share this with your friends. We don’t want to double up on baked goods, so sign up early to call dibs on what you will be bringing. When stylists contact us to donate their time and skills, they will be offered to the pin ups in the order of who submitted their pin up entry first. So please sign up early!
PART 3. Pin Up Contestants will attend the Car Show 4 Kids event in Auburn WA, July 19th arriving at 9:00A for registration and a review of rules regarding photos with cars, etc and will stay through Awards which start at 3PM . Contestants are to be styled head to toe as cheese-cake/bubblegum/Suzy homemaker pin ups. Style should include things like knee length cutsie vintage dresses, petticoats, etc. A more rockabilly version & wiggle dresses are welcome but in the attempt to keep this a family-friendly, fair and authentic Suzy-look we are requiring all outfits to be knee length and appropriate for an audience with children. (You may, however; wear a garter belt and thigh-highs hidden underneath for photo time when the kids aren’t around. (The best part about petticoats is what is hidden underneath, am I right?) Contestants are to provide their own styling, or can have help with styling by a professional. We do have a list of recommendations if you want some help with hair & make-up. We also have two helpful links that may help you find something to wear: wardrobe suggestions and store suggestions
PART 4. Pageant contestants will make a specific baked good of their choice (such as cakes, pies, cookies, cupcakes, cake pops, specialty candies etc) Baked goods must be **hand made by contestant** (this might be the tough part for some) We suggest making them the night before, as they need to be ready for sale at 9:00A. Your baked good is a part of the pageant contest! Your name and one serving of your baked item will be represented at the voting ballot area. The rest of the baked goods will be sold as a fundraiser to those who attend the Car Show 4 Kids. 100% of funds raised by the Bake Sale will go to the Pediatric Brain Tumor Foundation.
Part 5. Mid-day, pageant contestants will be asked one question to answer on the microphones and do a short strut to show off their outfit & baked item. The questionnaire will be based on cute innuendoes relating to baking/baked goods. (Don’t worry you will be given the list of questions that may come up in June so you can preplan your family friendly yet fun answers. You will not know which question will come up with your name – that will be a surprise).
VOTING Throughout the day there will be a ballot for everyone attending the car show to cast a vote, located at the Car Show table. Only one vote per person. Ballots will be tallied and “Miss South Sound Suzy 2014” will be announced with the Car Show Awards at 3P.
CAR SHOW PHOTOSHOOTS All contestants will be photographed by Some Like It Shot at some point during the car show. During the remainder of the car show contestants are welcome to be photographed by other photographers with cars IF the car owners have given them permission. Contestants are encouraged to meet ‘n greet with car show attendees to encourage baked good sales and votes as long as they are not harassing anyone.
PRIZES (not exchangeable – not redeemable for cash) :
- All contestants will be photographed by Some Like It Shot Photography at the Car Show 4 Kids event and will receive 1 edited individual 8×10″ metallic print as a thank you for participating. (We hope that alone is able to perk some interest to participate in this charity event in exchange for the $10 entry fee & baked item since we don’t offer photoshoots under $200 very often.- For normal prices & information about a SLIS pin up photoshoots click here )
- Thank you to MUA (Make-up Artist) Serena from www.esotericmakeup.com for donating your services to one lucky pin up for the event!
- Thank you MUAH (Make-up Artist & Hair) Ana Zuniga for donating your services to one lucky pin up girl for the event!
MISS SOUTH SOUND SUZY 2014 PRIZES
- A Sparkly Tiara
- A Sash that says Miss South Sound Susy 2014 (& the Car Show 4 Kids logo)
- A free private pin up photoshoot package with Some Like It Shot Photography on a separate day, total value of $540 (hair & make-up styling is included, a disc of 15 edited digital images and an 8×10 print )
- We are hoping to photograph Miss South Sound Suzy with the Best In Show car at the car show to be used for advertising of the event in 2015
- A hand embroidered surprise donation by Holly Duncan (thanks Holly!! )
PIN-UP PICK Just before awards, pageant contestants will all vote for their favorite pin up contestant (other than themselves) for a special prize. This cannot be the same person who wins Miss South Sound Suzy – it will be awarded to the next highest vote.
- The Pin Up Pick will receive a free 8×10 print on Metal ($60 value) by Some Like It Shot Photography
Rules for Pin Up Contestants:
- 18 years and older
- Photos submitted for online entry must not be provocative or nude in any way – by entering the competition and submitting your image you are agreeing that you have rights and permission from the photographer for use of their image in the contest. We will give them credit.
- Contestants must dress up head to toe and attend the car show all day in a pin up 40s/50s knee length dress/skirt/ pin up look July 19th 2014 9A – 3:30P
- Must provide home baked goods for the bake sale, baked by the contestant
- Must answer a question on microphone
- Must sign a model release for photos taken by Some Like It Shot & for the Car Show 4 Kids
- Must be available in the South Puget Sound area for a photoshoot if they win Miss South Sound Suzy 2014
- Must attend the 2015 Car Show in Tiara & Sash.
- Contestants of all ages, shapes, and from anywhere are welcome to join our event the more the merrier.
Rules for Photographers attending:
- Yes we would LOVE other photographers taking photos. We do ask that you email us your contact information (or hand deliver the day of) so that we can give you a pin up photo request card to get the girls info after the show and make sure that you are following the event’s rules to photograph the ladies – really they are guidelines so that everyone feels appreciated for their efforts that day.
- You must provide at least 1 image (digital or print – with or without your logo) for each pin up you photograph as a thank you for their time and effort getting ready and posing for photos. This rule is so that nobody is getting taken advantage of at a charity event.
- You must ask permission from the pin ups to photograph them (there will be a photo request card – similar to the old fashion dance request cards – we will have everyone’s contact information that way you can be in touch with each other later)
- We request that you only photograph the pin ups who were kind enough to participate in our pin up pageant. They’ve earned your camera love by donating their time and baking talents for the cause that this event is based on. I am sure there will be other ladies there, but out of respect for the ones who participated please focus on the ladies involved in the bake sale – pin up pageant – photoshoot.
- You must get a model release signed if you plan on selling the image or submitting the image of the pin up for publication/s. (standard photographer stuff)
- You must ask permission from the car prior to photographing them too and get a release from the owner for selling images or submitting them to publications (standard for car shows – some will say, yes some will say no, some will have extra rules if they say yes… all of them feel sad when their car is photographed and they never see a photo, so please share your photo with them too.)
- No shooting of another photographers pose and/or car set up without prior permission (aka no shooting over the shoulder of another photographer). Be friendly, be respectful, and make new photographer friends instead of photographer rivals.
- No pin up hoarding; if there are plenty of photographers the girls should be rotated so everyone gets photos from a variety of photographers with a variety of models.
If you are a pin up/vintage store or styling service and would like to make a donation to the Miss South Sound Suzy pin up pageant we would LOVE that!! Here are some options:
- 1. You can make a raffle prize that will be raffled at the Car Show 4 Kids.
- 2. You can give us a small gift for each pin up contestants’ swag bag.
- 3. Many contestants may not have the outfit, accessories, hair or make-up styling skills for the event. MANY would like some help!! Please email us at email@example.com to connect you with a participant so you can style her the morning of the Car Show Photoshoot.
Miss South Sound Suzy 2014 PinUp Pageant Contestants